Friday, July 22, 2005

Knocklong retreat

In the summer of 1985 I spent a few days in Knocklong, Co. Limerick. Small town Irish life at its best. Great pub conversations with old farmers, "just let a woman try to cross that threshold" some old toothless guy told me and my friend. Shopping at Walsh's "supermarket" was fun too. You could see the whole town, on foot, in about 10 minutes.

My friend's family came from nearby and they owned a cottage in the town, which is why we were there. There were 4 or 5 other holiday cottages in the same development and I think they were the only ones in the town.

All of that is background to why I was so surprised to read that Supreme Court nominee John Roberts owns an "interest" in a holiday cottage in Knocklong. I just can't imagine what he does when he visits the place, unless he and/or his wife have family in the area. There isn't a whole lot of scenery in that region.

UPDATE: Oops. This hadn't occurred to me, but apparently my friend and the judge's wife are cousins, which is why the Roberts have an interest in Knocklong.