Friday, July 01, 2005

Awful it is

The other day I took my younger daughter to see Star Wars – Revenge of the Sith. She enjoyed it. I had very low expectations, so I have to admit I was surprised to realize afterwards that it succeeded in coming in so far below those expectations.

I'm not a Star Wars nut, which is probably part of the problem. I couldn't have cared less about tying together all those 'loose ends' from the previous five episodes. I think for the real fans of Star Wars, this is all that mattered. Continuity – the underlying theme of this picture.

I've seen each of the first three twice, but not since the second batch of three started coming out. I'd like to see the first three again. I have it in my head that the last three movies have been far worse than the original three. I'm curious to see if that's true.

One thing this movie lacked was any humor whatsoever. I seem to remember that there were smiles and laughs with Harrison Ford & Carrie Fisher. Were there? Or is it just that I was a lot younger then? The other day the only time I smiled was when some little guy of about 4 let loose a burp that drowned out the fight scene on the screen. Everyone in the movie theater laughed. It was the best moment of the 14 hours (or whatever it was) I was penned in there.

Oh yeah, am I the only one who HATES Yoda? Ridiculous he is.