Monday, July 11, 2005

Another reason I don't mind Bono

I forgot about this until now. Last week when the G8 meeting was breaking up, I saw Bono on the news giving his reaction to the G8 nations' commitments to debt relief and third world aid. He was so positive. Far too many activists never have a good thing to say about anyone in power. They just moan, moan, moan. And, I just turn them off when I see them coming. Bono's not like that.

Although the interviewer kept goading him to bad mouth Bush/Blair/Chirac/anyone, Bono was having none of it. He accepted what had been accomplished with good grace and committed himself to continue his campaigning. Optimism and a positive outlook are a very important part of that kind of work. The mealy-mouthed, always critical approach wins far fewer friends and supporters.