Saturday, February 14, 2004

Baseball's drugs problem

The other day, Barry Bonds's personal trainer was indicted for drugs trafficking. I doubt there's a fan of the game who doesn't think "there's something rotten in the state of Denmark" with regards to one of baseball's biggest stars. And, I sincerely doubt any fan thinks that Bonds is the only one about whom questions should be asked.

I've written before about baseball's pathetic attempt to tackle this problem. The owners and union are pussy-footing around with this issue. The Daily News says that Major League Baseball is "in denial".

I suspect it's worse than that. I think they figure the fans don't care or that the fans are basically stupid.

I've often envied the English soccer fans' organizations and their power and influence. Baseball fans have no influence other than through ticket sales and t.v. money. I don't live close enough to wage an effective boycott, but even still when I'm home in the US this summer I'll be desperate to go to a game. I also know that when the season starts, I'll watch the games now that I can.

It's not that I don't care, but I can't help myself. But, I really hate this drugs thing. I hope the casual fan is turned off. I hope the stadiums are emptier and the television audiences are down. It's the only hope for the game.