Monday, April 16, 2007

Rheingau

I've lived in Ireland for 16 years and in all that time I've never really been to Germany, except for one quick business trip. I've never been to France either, but anyone who knew me in college would probably be surprised that I never went to Germany.

You see, I was a keen student of German during my 4 years in college. My enthusiasm was mostly thanks to the enthusiasm of my teacher, Professor Robert Kramer, who simply loved his subject and teaching.

Well, finally, 20+ years too late I spent a couple of days in Germany last week.

Last week we spent our two days along the Rhine. I enjoyed it, but I was frustrated that I couldn't really communicate in German at all. The closest I came was answering a few simple questions from a ferry operator - one of the few people I met who couldn't speak English. I found it easier reading German than speaking it, which was handy trying to interpret road-signs and menus.

Here are a few observations:
  • No bridges - I couldn't get over the fact that there were no bridges over the Rhine where we were. In fact, from what I can make out there are no bridges between Wiesbaden and Koblenz, which is about 45 miles or so. There are many car ferries, which cost us €6 per trip.
  • We stopped at a number of castles. The castles have spectacular views of the Rhine, but I don't think they're as interesting as the castles we visited in Scotland (and I'm not talking about Edinburgh or Stirling) I was also surprised at how many of the castles were privately owned.
  • Some things were a lot cheaper in Germany. Our one big meal in a restaurant was significantly cheaper than it would have been here. Probably €30 less than we'd have paid here. Gas was about 20% more there, however.
  • I was thrilled to see Pretzels (Brezeln) for 60c. Still, I'm not sure they were as good as what I can find on the streets of New York.
Overall, I really enjoyed this trip. I can't wait to go to another part of Germany in the future.