Thursday, April 19, 2007

Mrs. Robinson

I meant to write this two days ago, but forgot after the Va. Tech killings. Anyway, on Monday night NASN broadcast ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball game. This was the game with the special Jackie Robinson ceremonies. Before the game I heard that Frank Robinson (not related), Hank Aaron, Dave Winfield and Jackie Robinson's widow were going to be interviewed during the game.

When I heard that Mrs. Robinson was going to be on I groaned, expecting to hear one of those interviews with old people that makes you say, "Wouldn't it be better if they just left that woman alone?" I couldn't have been more wrong. She was fantastic. She spoke clearly, without any long awkward gaps. She cheered like a young girl when the Dodgers did something good (and kept apologizing when she remembered she was supposed to be neutral in the booth). Overall she was a breath of fresh air. I was disappointed when she left the broadcast booth. I'd rather she had stayed and Morgan and Miller had taken the rest of the night off.

And, on top of it all, she looked great. I googled her later just to confirm that she was as old as I figured. And, she is. Born in 1922. Amazing.

None of the rest of the guests, all of whom I was really looking forward to hearing from, was as good as Mrs. Robinson.