Thursday, November 16, 2006

Shaara

I'm not sure they're great works of literature, but I enjoy the historical novels that have come from the Shaara family. Michael, the father, was a better writer than his son Jeffrey, but I read his books. I just finished reading Michael Shaara's Killer Angels. Before that I read Jeffrey's Gods and Generals and now I'll probably read Jeffrey's The Last Full Measure, which rounds out the "trilogy". {It's a little odd that Jeffrey decided to write a prequel & sequel to his father's novel, isn't it?}

Killer Angels won a Pulitzer, but to be honest I don't see a huge difference in quality between that book and all those written by Jeffrey. None of them is great literature, but if you're too lazy to read a history book you'll get something of what motivated those who fought on both sides of the American Civil War (War of Northern Aggression, anyone?).

Like I said, not great literature. Everyone is ridiculously noble and if you like your characters well-rounded, forget about it. But, so what? I think the books are enjoyable, which really is all that matters.

{I'm taking a break from Wagons West - about life on the Wagon Trails in the 1840s - because the book is just too damn dull. I expect I'll finish it before Christmas, but there is simply way too much detail here. You'd have to be a fanatical wagon trail enthusiast to enjoy this one.}