Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Beyond the pale in Tipperary

Tipperary Councillor Michael Fitzgerald has uttered words so reprehensible, so utterly fantastic that all right-thinking people are condemning him, practically calling for his head. But, are the right-thinking people right?

Councillor Fitzgerald essentially suggested that a seasoned drinker in a rural area could drive safely after 3 or 4 pints. He claimed that young 'boy racers' are the real threat on the roads, not old guys having a few drinks in the local.

To be honest, I'd never drive after 3 or 4 pints. In fact, these days I'm wary of driving after half a pint, but I would like to know if there are any facts that might support Councillor Fitzgerald. I've often thought to myself that people should be held responsible for how they drive, not necessarily whether they've been drinking. At the same time, I've seen a lot of stupid behavior by drinkers - all ages - so I'm not really opposed to the drunk driving laws.