Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Embasssy upgrade

Well, color me surprised. I had to go back to the embassy today for another child's passport. Okay, the security is still really annoying, but I couldn't get over how friendly every single person was. Cheerful, even. Is it possible that the American government has been asking embassy staff to be more upbeat, helpful and considerate? And, the whole process was quick too. If it wasn't for the $82 I might have even enjoyed it.

If there's one thing about spending a few minutes in the embassy that I like, it's the selection of magazines. I found one from the Civil War Preservation Trust with a nice article about Fighting Tom Sweeney from Dunmanaway, Co. Cork. There was also a magazine there called Latin Mass. Not sure why it was there, but it was. Thanks to the efficiency of the embassy staff, I didn't have time to check it out.