Thursday, November 25, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving

"It isn't the turkey, but the idea that we care for". So said a soldier in the Army of the Shenandoah on Thanksgiving Day in 1864. He was responding to the generosity of the "Loyal North", from where turkeys and other Thanksgiving fixings were sent to the men serving in the Union Army. The Washington Post has a good editorial about Thanksgiving during war time, remembering Lincoln's Proclamation for Thanksgiving 140 years ago this week.

I'll try not to repeat myself this year. What I wrote last year applies pretty well again this year (although the NY Post link is now dead).

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, especially my fellow Americans here in Ireland (Carrie, William & Jon) AND those Irish bloggers with whom I regularly engage in debate: Mick, Frank, Chris, Dick, Peter & Gavin.