Friday, November 19, 2004

Is this why Kerry lost?

I almost forgot this. On Nov. 5, the Irish Examiner had a light piece about a man from Limerick who went to visit his daughter in Washington, DC. While he was in his daughter's apartment, the phone rang and he answered it.
Mr Lowe from Limerick got the surprise of his life when he picked up the phone when staying with his daughter in Washington DC last Monday.

The former US President [Bill Clinton] was on the other end of the line canvassing votes for Democratic candidate John Kerry.

“He asked me to give my support to the Democratic candidate John Kerry. He talked about his qualities and the experience he would bring to the White House if elected president.

“However, I had to tell him I didn’t have a vote and that I was over for my daughter’s wedding.

“When I told him I was from Limerick he was delighted and said he still remembers the great welcome he got in Limerick during his first presidential visit,” said Jim.
Now, it's a nice story, don't get me wrong. But, if you consider that Bill Clinton's time the day before the election was a valuable resource, why was he calling anyone in DC when he clearly should have been focused on Ohio (or Florida or any knife edge state)?

Is this indicative of how the Democrats used their resources? Did they waste valuable time calling people in states (and DC) where the outcome was not in doubt?