Friday, October 22, 2004

Go Sox!

I was driving up Dalkey hill yesterday morning and I saw a young guy with a red Red Sox sweatshirt walking down. Actually, to be honest, I didn't see him, but my daughter did. She only mentioned it after I'd gone by. If I had seen him, I'd have stopped and given him a shout because I know how lonely you can feel when you're in Ireland and your team has just done something remarkable*.

So, all you folks in Ireland (or Britain or wherever) if you see someone wearing a Red Sox shirt or cap give them a hearty "Go Sox!". Sure, you don't know anything about the game, but these people just want the world to know how great it is to be a Red Sox fan today.

An editorial in today's Guardian acknowledges the biggest story of the week in America.

* I was a student at Trinity when the Mets won the World Series in 1986 and I was here in 2000 when the Mets clinched a spot in the 2000 "Subway Series". I was also here for the Rangers' 1994 Stanley Cup.