Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The end is nigh

I usually don't have much time for apocalyptic ravings regardless of whether they come from climate change fearmongers or religious zealots. Yet, after what I've seen over the last three nights I'm beginning to wonder if something earth-shattering isn't about to happen.

Never before in baseball has a team won the first three games in a post-season series and then lost the next three. That the team that has managed it for the first time is the NY Yankees is staggering. The fact that the team that has beaten the Yankees the past three nights is the Boston Red Sox is why I'm seriously concerned that there's a rupture in the space-time continuum.

If Boston manages to win tonight and eliminate the Yankees, I would expect a serious backlash from the gods - the Law of Karma will require it.

The Boston Globe's web site is barely up today. Coincidence? I think not. The Boston Herald is a better bet today.