Monday, October 11, 2004

Any heads to roll now that gold is gone?

I haven't heard it yet nor have I read it, but I'm presuming that some people are going to start asking for Pat Hickey and/or John Treacy to resign now that another Irish Olympic gold has been tainted by drugs.

Obviously, we don't know half of what we should know and there's still an outside chance that the "B" sample will prove negative, but that seems a forlorn hope seeing as the vet who treated Waterford Crystal admits to having administered the banned substance a couple of months before the Olympics. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but my abiding memory of the night of O'Connor's win is those two men, particularly Hickey, and their obvious desire to claim credit by association for the big victory. I can't see how they can retain their jobs now.

The Irish Times reports this morning that a second horse ridden by O'Connor has also tested positive after the Italian Nations Cup show in May.