Monday, October 11, 2004

2004 election ballot

I received my ballot for the 2004 election today. Here's what it looks like. I know people in Ireland are generally surprised when they see the long list of names running for President. Of course, only two have any real chance of winning, but there are always a number of lesser candidates. Not every candidate is on every state ballot. Those listed on my ballot are only necessarily on the ballot for every New York State voter.

Here's a full list of everyone who's on the ballot in at least one state.

I don't know if the laws are the same in every state, but I only get to vote in the federal elections (President, US Senator, Representative in the House) when I vote as an American abroad. Students who are abroad, and those in the military or in other government service positions, are entitled to the full ballot.

Despite the fact that I'm not entitled to vote in the state and local elections, State Assemblyman Bob Prentiss sent me his election material and he's looking for my vote. Sorry Bob, can't help you out.

{I do have a question for Bob Prentiss and his campaign staff. Is it grammatically correct to say the following: "By exercising your civic duty as a voter, you are proving that you understand . . . "? I'm not sure you exercise your duty, civic or otherwise.