Friday, July 25, 2008

Yes we can ... but should we?

I know I've said before that watching and listening to Obama must be a completely different experience than simply reading him because the words sound great, but I can't help feeling like it's part of a poetry lesson in school: you have to work hard to find the true meaning. You read the speech and it flows so beautifully, it's inspirational. You finish wanting to yell, "Yes we can", but there's a nagging question: "We can ... what"? What is it "we" are going to do?

For example:
Trade has been a cornerstone of our growth and global development. But we will not be able to sustain this growth if it favors the few, and not the many. Together, we must forge trade that truly rewards the work that creates wealth, with meaningful protections for our people and our planet. This is the moment for trade that is free and fair for all.
If I were a German citizen at that speech that section, more than any other, would have me wondering. What aspects of our current trading system are 'unfair'? What change is he proposing? What effect will that have on my company, my job, me? He didn't say. And, as far as I can tell, he has never said.

I find him frustrating because I'm not really all that keen on John McCain. I really doubt I'd vote for Obama, but I'd like to have some idea what he plans to do. Yet every speech I've read all I get from it is that together we can move mountains. Well, which mountains and what direction? He never says.