Friday, January 04, 2008

Iowa

A very pleasant woman from Newstalk called me yesterday to ask if I'd come on the radio this morning to discuss the Iowa caucuses. I declined (and may have been a bit abrupt with her — sorry).

I explained to her that I just don't understand why Iowa has become SOOO important. I can remember when Iowa seemed like a quaint, odd, but hardly worth-getting-excited-about phenomenon. I always thought of a Iowa as being like the trumpet blast before a horse race (do they do that on this side? – I've never been to the races in Ireland) – an alert to let you know that it's nearly time to start paying attention.

Somehow Iowans, eager for all the attention and perks, and the media, eager for something that sells news coverage, have managed to turn Iowa into a major event. I suppose if Iowa's going to be so vital couldn't Iowans at least agree to hold a proper primary?

At least Iowa's behind us now and I've heard the trumpet blast. The REAL starting gate is straight ahead.