Wednesday, June 27, 2007

If I vote

I should have known this would happen. First I stated that nobody cared about the Seanad election and then I mocked a bit, suggesting I should have run and now I'm fascinated. I spent a few minutes last night reading all the election leaflets I could find around the house and was struck by the fact that all but two¹(of the 15 I could find) want to spend more of my money.

How can that be? Maybe it's always this way (like I said, I don't generally pay any attention). I don't know, but I can't understand how so few people running for a position in a legislative body that is supposed to be a "safeguard" see no value in safeguarding the taxpayer's money.

Anyway, after reviewing the 15 candidates whose literature I could find (I know some leaflets were thrown out before I started paying attention) I have made my decision. If I bother to vote, Liam Crowley will get my Number 1. I don't want to know any more about him for fear that I won't like it.

Feargal Quinn is probably closer to what I'd like and he'll get my Number 2, but I like Crowley's minimalist single issue leaflet: he wants a tax break for those who pay fees to further their education. I like tax breaks a lot more than I like tax hikes, so I'm in favor of this proposal.

Go Liam go. Of course, I'll probably forget to vote after all this.

¹ One candidate didn't bother to provide any details as to what they'd do if elected. I like that approach too. 'Ask not what I can do for the country, but what you can do for me'. There's my Number 3.