Monday, June 18, 2007

Climate change as the issue?

Columnist Jonathan Last claims that the Irish election was "dominated by a low-grade financial scandal of Ahern's, but when the scandal wasn't in the headlines, one of the main issues was: climate change". Was it? I don't remember hearing that much about climate change. I heard a lot about the health system, but even that I thought was more of a media contrivance than a burning issue.

Climate change when it's discussed in Europe is really just a stick with which to beat America. I don't think too many Irish SUV owners have traded them in for Raleighs. I don't even think the Irish voters would be happy with an extra 20c on each liter of gas (petrol), so I don't believe the policy options on climate change influenced too many voters, really.