Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Clinched

Last night the Mets accomplished something they haven't been able to do for 18 years - win their own division. I never gave it a thought before I relocated, but for fans of sports on this side of the ocean the fact that in American sports they combine the 'league' (division) with the 'cup' (playoffs & World Series to come) means that winning a division crown is somewhat diminished if the team flops in the playoffs. Not just somewhat diminished, actually; totally discredited is more like it.

Well, I don't care. Right now this is fantastic. It's been a great season, especially for me as this is the first time I've followed the Mets on a daily basis since 1990 thanks to broadband and internet radio.

Back in April I mentioned that Met fans had more hope going into this season than they had in years. Even the hopeful fans didn't expect the team to be this good. The Mets have won their 'league' with 13 games to play. Fantastic.