Monday, June 13, 2005

Ratemyprofessors.ie

It's been a while since I was in college (19 years since I graduated - GOOD GOD!) so my memory may be a little hazy, but I cannot remember having one course where the teacher didn't hand out questionnaires at the end of the term. These questionnaires were for our "feedback" on the course and the lecturer's performance.

Don't they do this in Ireland? I was surprised by this front page Irish Times story describing the pending launch of RateMyProfessors.ie. It sounds as if students are never asked for their "feedback". Perhaps if third level education wasn't 100% taxpayer funded the colleges would have to pay more attention to the quality of the product they offer students. And, just as with RateMyTeachers.ie there are, apparently, some college lecturers who are worried about this development. At least there's Trinity's Sean Barrett, a voice of sanity:
If students want to do it, I certainly wouldn't stand in their way," he said. "Their views on the quality they get is of interest.
I imagine that the fact that questionnaires are always provided is one reason that the RateMyProfessors.com site for my college has so few posts. I would guess it's a similar story across the US. Irish colleges and universities should provide at least that minimal opportunity for students to offer their opinions on what they're getting from their college.