Thursday, January 20, 2005

Krusty Krabs

The New York Times reports this morning that some conservative Christians are none too keen on SpongeBob SquarePants.

Well, I consider myself both a Christian and a conservative and I have to admit I really like SpongeBob, although from what I gather it's not the regular broadcast cartoons that these people are opposed to.

Apparently, SpongeBob's creators made a video that was intended "to teach children about multiculturalism". I have to admit I'm not that keen on these sorts of projects. There always seems to be a strong element of brain-washing involved in these programs. This one sounds innocent enough, but until I've seen it I can't say whether I'd find it objectionable or not.

The article also hints that SpongeBob's popularity with adult gay men is part of the problem for conservative Christians. I would bet that SpongeBob is equally popular with most straight men. It's just a really well done cartoon with humor that is both intellectually sophisticated and child-like.

I don't think the show should be held accountable for its fans. I seem to remember a similar campaign with regards to the Teletubbies. I thought the campaigners were wrong about that one too, but I wasn't worried about it because I couldn't stand that show.

At the risk of forfeiting my conservative and Christian credentials, I'll keep watching SpongeBob (only with my children, of course).