Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Watching the Olympics

Sometimes I wonder why I find myself drawn to the Olympics every 4 years because I would watch almost none of the Olympic sports if they were on in any other context. I don't blame anyone who doesn't watch because I can't explain my own interest.

A couple of the sports - track & field and rowing - can be good and I would watch them outside of Olympic competition. And, obviously some of the team sports (baseball, soccer, basketball) I watch regularly, although the Olympics versions are inevitably inferior to other competitions.

Then there are the sports that I watch only during the Olympics, but which infuriate me. Gymnastics is first and foremost in this list. Actually, I really can't stand any sport that depends on judges for the scoring (diving, figure skating, etc. - even boxing, but they at least have tried to make their judging transparent). But, gymnastics seems to be the worst.

The fact that the crowd was able to force the judges to change the score for the Russian gymnast Alexi Nemov last night shows what a joke gymnastics is. Of course, this was a reaction to the mess the other night.

What's really ridiculous is that this will only generate more anti-American sentiment in Korea. I suggest that President Bush issue a statement saying that he was 'watching the gymnastics competition and cannot believe what a disaster the judges were'. He should then invite both Paul Hamm and Yang Tae-young to the White House for a sandwich and a special presentation to both of them. Would be an easy way to smooth over some ruffled Korean feathers.