Tuesday, May 25, 2004

You say soda . . .

I am really intrigued by this map of soft drink names that I came across over at Frank's site.

After I saw this yesterday, I circulated it amongst my friends and family. One friend wrote back, "fascinating - most of the country is wrong", which I suppose is exactly how I reacted. I mean, how can it be anything other than "soda". Although I've heard some people use the word "pop", I've never known anyone who used it. To me, using "pop" was like stamping "hayseed" on your forehead.

And, what about those southerners who use "coke" for everything. Is that because Coca-cola is from Atlanta and nobody down south drinks anything else?

{On a related note, can someone in Ireland please explain the use of the word "minerals" for soda? I've been wondering about that one for almost 20 years.}

On another level, I find it really interesting. How is it that there's a large circular region on the "coke" - "pop" border where "soda" is used by more than 80% of the population? And, look at Alaska, what a hodge podge. How does anyone communicate up there if they can't agree standard words for everyday items?

The western states are similar to the northeast, which proves my theory that most westerners are transplanted northeasterners who moved away seeking an easier ride (you know, no shoveling mounds of snow, no scraping icicles off your chin, no mosquitos the size of crows).

One last thing, compare this map with the electoral map from 2000 by county. They're not identical, but there's a general trend for Bush voters to say "pop" or "coke" and Gore voters to say " soda". Don't know what that might mean.