Monday, May 10, 2004

Smoking ban - the downside

It seems that the streets are dirtier now because all the smokers are throwing their butts on the ground outside the pubs.

I can tell you of another downside, one that I think is much worse than a few extra cigarette butts on the ground - drunk men gathered out front of pubs in broad daylight.

On Saturday, I had to bring my daughter to Dun Laoghaire. Our destination was next door to a pub and while we waited for the door to be opened so that we could go in, we had to endure listening to a conversation of several drunken men. Nothing they said was all that shocking, but their demeanor was something that I didn't really want my daughter exposed to.

I'm sure women will find walking near pubs increasingly uncomfortable.

Another significant difference between NYC and Ireland, one that Minister Martin never addressed, is that there is a much greater propensity for Irish people to go to pubs and get drunk in daylight hours than there is in NY. Forcing these people out onto narrow sidewalks during daylight hours is ridiculous. I wouldn't want to own a shop near a pub.

Can the ban and get rid of Minister Martin.