Friday, March 26, 2004

Techie wannabee

That's probably how I should describe myself. Ideally I want to be a knowledgeable PC-tinkerer who has no fear and doesn't mind getting his "hands dirty" inside the box. I want to be able to resolve all resolvable problems at minimal expense.

I am probably a short way down that road, but I don't know anywhere near enough to really do the things I want.

A while ago I bought an ethernet card and I am now trying to make that work in my Windows95 machine. Does anyone know if this is even possible? So far, I have the card physically installed, but it's not being recognized when I start the machine. The paltry supporting documents, etc. that came with the card seem to indicate that it will work in a Win95 machine, but I'm unconvinced.

Anyway, the documentation is telling me to check the BIOS for duplicate entries in the interrupts. Well, as a techie wannabee I know how to get into the BIOS and have made some minor changes in the past, but I have no idea where to look to check these interrupts. And, I really don't know what to look for.

Still, I'd rather play this game any day rather than change the oil in my car.