Wednesday, March 31, 2004

New motto

I decided to change the motto. "Life without baseball" seemed inappropriate now that a new season is here and I'm going to be able to watch 250 games this season! I can't tell you how much my family is looking forward to that.

So, I went back to one of my favorite quotes. Originally, the quote referred to the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, John Jay, who was sent to London by President Washington to negotiate a deal with Britain in 1794 (summary here at bottom}. In the mid-1790's there was still a lot of aggro between the new USA and Britain. Jay got a deal that got British forts off American soil and ended British harassment of American shipping.

However, the Jeffersonians were outraged because other grievances (British incitement of indians, searches for deserters on American ships & compensation for slaves taken by the British during the Revolution) weren't dealt with.

The full slogan was "Damn John Jay! Damn every that won't damn John Jay!! Damn every one that won't put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning John Jay!!!" — grafitti on a Boston wall.