Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Bye bye Bertie

You know, I could have sworn that I'd written a post predicting that Bertie would go after he speaks to the houses of Congress in Washington later this month. I was sure I'd written that, but if I did I can't find it now.

Bertie's leaving, but not until May 6. He'll get the speech in, but not be Taoiseach when we have the referendum on the Lisbon Treaty. I wonder if his decision to go now is because he fears that the referendum might fail. I thought he should have gone in September '06, but I'm still not happy to see him go. I'm not overly unhappy either.

I don't give Bertie or Fianna Fail the credit for the economy they want to take for themselves and I hold them responsible for the out of control spending, but overall I think Bertie did a decent job.

A lot done, but a lot left undone.