Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Starr, err, Mahon Tribunal

I can't remember if I've said this before so I'll say it now. I don't pay much attention to the Mahon Tribunal. I sort of glaze over when I hear the news headlines leading with the day's big revelations. That's just a bit of background for what I'm about to say.

It's time to wrap up the Mahon Tribunal. It's costing a lot of money and it's never going to resolve anything. Anyone who cares has made up their mind already. Personally, I think Bertie should have gone a long while ago, but he's still there and will be until he wants to go.

The Mahon Tribunal is really starting to resemble Ken Starr's investigation. Those who are up to their necks in it can't see that it's pointless to go on. Starr & the Republicans never did realize that they went too far and ended up impeaching the President for reasons that were never solidly impeachable as far as the average voter was concerned.

To me the Mahon Tribunal is heading that same direction and unless someone sees sense it's going to go on and on without resolution just dripping tidbits of corruption evidence & hearsay to the public so that the only loser will be the political system.

Okay so Bertie and others are less than pure. I doubt you'd get much of an argument from many Fianna Failers on that score right now, but from what I sense most people don't want him hounded from office for these financial irregularities. So, let it go. Work to make sure that the future is better than the past, but let the past be.