Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I'm a social outcast?

Saturday's New York Times says that in Ireland
[p]lastic bags were not outlawed, but carrying them became socially unacceptable — on a par with wearing a fur coat or not cleaning up after one's dog.
What a load of nonsense. It is completely, 100% socially acceptable to use a plastic bag still. Most people simply don't like paying for them, but there's no shame attached to the use of plastic bags.

I generally use plastic bags. I never pay for them - not once - but I use plastic bags that I got in America and Britain. I hate the cloth bag because I have to carry it to the store. If I'm only getting a few things, I can squish a plastic bag down into my coat pocket.

{And as I wrote before I won't go to into the store if I don't have a bag with me and I also find that I drive to the store more often because I hate carrying the empty bags with me.}

In truth there's a lot of nonsense in the article, not just that line about social acceptability.