Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Honored

Last Thursday night I attended a dinner given by the people who publish Irish America. I was there because I was named as one of the Top 100 Irish-Americans. You may be relieved to know that the award had nothing to do with this blog and everything to do with the Newshound. Whether my efforts with the Newshound merited inclusion in such a list is hard for me to say, but I had a great night and was honored to be selected.

NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly is the "Irish American of the Year", was the keynote speaker at the event and is on the cover of this month's magazine. I got to meet him briefly and he seemed like a nice, down-to-Earth guy. I also met his son Tim Jim (I think), who, like his father, went to Manhattan College. He graduated two years after me from the same department (Math/Comp Sci), but neither of us had any recollection of the other (and I thought I was BMOC back then!).