Friday, November 25, 2005

Dissin the Boss

It is 30 years since Born to Run was released. Last week two US Senators from New Jersey sponsored a resolution to congratulate Bruce Springsteen on the thirtieth anniversary. {No, I have no idea why this kind of thing goes on, but it's pretty common.)

Anyway, the Republicans in the Senate killed the resolution. It seems the reason for this was Springsteen's support for John Kerry last year.

Look, I think Springsteen was mistaken, but this is pettiness beyond the call of duty. As Harlan Coben notes in today's NY Times, many of Springsteen's fans are Republicans. They may disagree with him and even wish he'd just "shut up and sing" at times, but I think most would accept that he's not your usual Hollywood/show business dingbat. He clearly thinks before he speaks. So he's not perfect, but then nobody is. Imperfection doesn't bother me nor does it bother Bruce.
The screen door slams
Mary's dress waves
Like a vision she dances across the porch
As the radio plays
Roy Orbison singing for the lonely
Hey that's me and I want you only
Don't turn me home again
I just can't face myself alone again
Don't run back inside
darling you know just what I'm here for
So you're scared and you're thinking
That maybe we ain't that young anymore
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me
It was a great moment in American culture. Grow up Senator Frist.