Monday, October 10, 2005

Reading newspapers on air

I was on Newstalk 106 again yesterday. The first time was a curiosity and I was glad to get a second chance to see if I was (a) more relaxed and (b) better. I'm sure I was more relaxed, but I'm not so sure I was any better. I sure respect anyone who can think quickly and answer clearly when on the radio. It's not as easy as doing it at the kitchen table or over a few pints.

Yesterday I took part in Newstalk's one hour review of the Sunday papers. The panel shows up at 9, goes through the papers for an hour and then we all discuss/debate some of the articles and the wider issues. One panel member didn't show up (is naming her unethical?) so it was me, a comedian whose first name was Eddie, but whose last name I can't remember and a Newstalk106 producer who pinch hit for the missing guest and whose first and last names escape me.

There were 4 main topics for discussion: paid maternity leave, the "scandal" of the Health Department's payroll system, "American politics" - mostly Condoleezza Rice's future and an Oncologist who's suing the hospital at which he works.

My last trip in to Newstalk was easier in some ways because I knew the topic and was able to gather a few thoughts in advance. This time the topics just landed on my lap and I just had to react. I don't remember saying anything outrageously stupid, which is a victory.