Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The Killers

My daughter recently got The Killers' album, Hot Fuss. This is really a strange development. It seems like only yesterday that I winced every time I heard Westlife on her CD player.

What really makes this strange isn't that her tastes are changing, but that I really like this album too. I've only listened to it twice, but I think it's pretty good. While I admit it's odd that we like the same album, I suspect my daughter is freaked out by it. It was one thing when I mentioned that I liked Franz Ferdinand, which she dismissed as an aberration. Now it's beginning to look like either (a) I'm cool or (b) she's not. I don't think either possibility makes her happy.

One thing about the Killers - they sound A LOT like the Cure. I think I had heard 4 songs from the album when I pronounced that "these guys must be huge fans of the Cure". This morning I googled the Cure and the Killers to see if anyone agreed with that assessment and found that a blogger of (probably) similar vintage to me had the same impression. I'm sure many others have said the same.