Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Unveiled

Yes, I'm a bit late chiming in, but I just thought I'd add my two cents worth on the veils, Muslim women and Jack Straw. I see nothing wrong with Jack Straw - or anyone for that matter - asking a woman to uncover her face if she wants to meet him. Why shouldn't he ask to see someone's face when they have asked to meet him?
Straw said he feels uncomfortable talking with someone whose face is covered, saying the veil could be seen "as a visible statement of separation and difference."
I'm not sure about that explanation, but I'd be uncomfortable talking to someone whose face was covered. If they want to talk to me then they have to live with the fact that I have some prerequisites, including seeing the other person's face. I agree with Straw that there's a world of difference between the headscarf and a veil.

However, if a woman doesn't want to uncover her face then that's her choice. She just has to accept that many people will not want to deal with her. Shopkeeprs or whomever may not want veiled women in their shops, which is their choice.