Thursday, October 12, 2006

Bray wind farm

The Irish government has approved a proposal to build a "wind farm" off-shore. 220 wind turbines will be built 12km off the Bray coast. Fortunately, the Irish Wind Energy Truth Alliance is on the ball. Spokesman Peter Crossan let us know that wind energy is inefficient, "causes huge harm to the landscape and wildlife" and "will cause a visual eyesore in a tourist area".

I have no idea if these wind farms are "inefficient", but so long as it's not my money that's being spent what do I care? Now, to be honest it wouldn't take much for Mr. Crossan to convince me that burning oil or gas is more efficient than getting electricity from the wind, so I'll give him a pass on that one. However, how can wind turbines 12km off shore cause "huge harm" to the "landscape"? Surely, off shore, by definition, means that landscape doesn't apply.

The Independent's article says these turbines will be 100 meters (over 30 stories) in height, which sounds awfully high. If they're that high, then those turbines will definitely be visible from the shoreline, but so what? I don't think it necessarily will ruin the view? I suppose it's possible that wildlife might be affected, but I find it hard to believe that this development will be a serious blow to the ecosystem in the Irish Sea.