Monday, October 09, 2006

But, for most sports fans around here . . .

Truth is, I've been so baseball-obsessed lately that I'd completely forgotten that Ireland had a game on Saturday until I stumbled onto it when I was flipping the channels mindlessly waiting for the first pitch of the San Diego vs Saint Louis game on Saturday evening.

In the end I sort of paid attention to the soccer game between innings, etc. Uggh. Unlike with the Yankees' failure, I get no joy from Ireland's crushing defeat against Cyprus. I don't lose sleep over soccer games and I'm not a big fan of international sports, but despite all that I do root for Ireland and I know there are a lot of angry Irish soccer fans out there today. All I can say to them is, "Hey, it could be worse. You could have watched a $200m team get flushed down the toilet".