Saturday, August 12, 2006

Park & Ride at the Ryder Cup

I hadn't realized that there will be no parking at the Ryder Cup. Fans will have to park at either Palmerstown House Golf Club or at Weston Airport. Neither of those places is all that close to the K Club.

I don't really care to be honest. I'm not a golf fan, not going to the Ryder Cup and none too worried about those who are. However, it does remind me of the disastrous park & ride system employed at the 1980 Olympics at Lake Placid. Lake Placid and the roads in and out were too small to handle all the Olympic traffic. The organizers decided that a park and ride 10 miles or so outside the town would be the best idea. Didn't work out, however. Too few buses, fans arriving at all sorts of times and cold weather - I mean seriously cold (below zero Fahrenheit) - added up to a near catastrophe. I presume the Ryder Cup folks won't have similar problems.