Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Kirby Puckett

Kirby Puckett died yesterday. He was 45. A great ball player who always seemed to play with real joy. I remember spending one long evening watching a twilight doubleheader from the bleachers of Yankee Stadium where I had a great view of Puckett. He didn't look like a ball player with his short, stocky frame, but he was one of the greats. One of those players that fans everywhere could enjoy.

I had heard that he'd hit hard times after his playing career was cut short due to a problem with his retina, but until I read this in today's NY Times I hadn't realized just how hard those times were. Mostly self-inflicted, of course. He seems to have had a problem with violence and women. I'd like to think that all of that is exaggerated, but . . .

Looking back from this distance in time I wonder if Puckett was a steroid user. Is that partially responsible for his over-achieving on the playing field, his off the field violence and his rapid descent and early death after his career ended?