Monday, March 28, 2005

Irish signs

From today road-side signs in the Gaeltacht will only display the Irish language version of the placenames. I honestly don't think this is a huge issue for tourists or anyone else so long as maps correspond.

However, I do hope that warning signs will be in both Irish and English. I can remember back in the early 90s my wife and I were driving around Donegal and we came across a sign warning us of an "accident black spot" entirely in Irish. It didn't even have the black circle, which I'd come to recognize as a warning. {Fortunately, my wife did a quick translation for me and convinced me to reduce my speed. Otherwise this blog might never have happened and what a tragic loss to you that would have been.}

Warning signs should be bilingual or based on standard visual symbols. There is nothing to gain in confusing tourists with signs that a driver might not have come across once in a week's worth of driving around Ireland.