Thursday, December 30, 2004

Not quite back yet

On the 23rd, my hard drive or nearly died. I ran out and bought a new one, but I had a lot of trouble getting the first one out. I've done this sort of thing with desktop machines, but never before with a laptop. Everything is so small that when I stripped one of the screws holding the HD in place, I was really stuck.

But, yesterday I finally was able to get into my local hardware store and get the small screwdriver I needed to get the HD out. So, now I have the new HD installed.

My only problem now is that I think I may have messed up the Windows2000 installation. Not sure yet. If yes, then I'll have to redo it and then redo all the downloading of patches, etc. that entails. Uggh. Takes hours. Probably should have gone to XP, but I didn't want to pay for it. I don't even know what it costs, but I'm sure hundreds. Plus, I'm also sure I'd lose something I have with Win2000 Professional.

I'm sorely tempted to learn how to run two OS on the one PC. I'd love to install Lynux and see what that's like.