Thursday, December 09, 2004

Lost in the supermarket

Okay, I wasn't really "lost", but I saw an opportunity to allude to one of my favorite songs and I took it.

A couple of items caught my eye today while I was shopping. One - "All our salmon is 100% Irish". What does that mean? Do fish have passports? I can understand the "Irish beef" label, but somehow it seems a bit presumptuous when it comes to fish. Maybe one or two of these salmon were spawned in Scotland? Or, maybe they renounced their citizenship when they took up residency outside Ireland's territorial waters? I don't know, but I'm betting Superquinn doesn't either.

Two - "Super Free Range" eggs. There are Barn Fresh eggs, Organic eggs (no response when I asked the kid doing the stocking if they had any "Inorganic eggs"), Free Range eggs and Super Free Range eggs. I understand the concept of "free range" eggs - the chickens are free to wander around the farm yard. So, what about Super Free Range? Do these chickens have the right to wander as they please over an entire county or something?