Friday, March 14, 2008

REMade as Irish

REM's new album is "Irish music" according to the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland. I can't understand how we get away with this protectionist nonsense, which is what this Irish music requirement for radio stations is all about.

I also can't imagine that Irish bands want or need the state to nurture them this way. If they're going to succeed they need to be able to compete with the best the world has to offer, not be cosseted by the nanny state. You wanna be in a rock band? Well it's tough out there. Deal with it.

So, I don't really care whether REM's album is "Irish" or not. What I do know is if this album is as sleep-inducing as the last one I'm sure the people of Athens, GA will be just as glad that the Irish have claimed this production as their own.