Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Dual citizenship

Mike Huckabee wants to change the law to outlaw dual citizenship.
The former Arkansas governor's "Secure America Plan" includes a call to "discourage dual citizenship" by imposing "civil and/or criminal penalties on American citizens who illegitimately use their dual status." While Mr. Huckabee's plan is short on details, it says prohibited uses of dual citizenship would include "using a foreign passport, voting in elections in both a foreign country and the U.S," and other actions.
Well, that certainly would cramp my style. I hold both an American and Irish passport AND I vote in both jurisdictions. Seeing as I think it's pretty unlikely this will come to pass, I haven't really given any serious thought to how I'd respond if Huckabee's plans ever came to pass. All I know for certain is that I wouldn't renounce my American citizenship, but what the implications might be or how my children might react if forced to choose I couldn't say.

I suppose if Huckabee does well tomorrow, I might have to think about this issue, but for now I'm just going to assume that nothing will really change.