Friday, January 11, 2008

Carbon footprint calculator

Repak launched its carbon calculator over Christmas. I spent a few minutes doing it just out of curiosity and found out that my (or my family's - it's not clear) carbon footprint is above average.

I was pretty surprised by that, to be honest. I hadn't expected our home energy use to be above average. It has me wondering how they arrived at the "averages for Irish homes". When I read the Repak suggestions on how to reduce our energy consumption there was little we didn't already do.

One aspect of the carbon calculators that I don't understand is why doesn't stuff matter? Surely someone who buys a lot of stuff should have a higher carbon footprint than someone who eschews material purchases, no? Every sweater from Pakistan or pair of sneakers from Indonesia or gadget from China must add to your carbon footprint. Why do shopaholics not have to fret the carbon police, but us occasional air travelers have to endure being portrayed as baby seal murderers?