Monday, September 10, 2007

Wall to wall McCanns

You know, nothing else has happened the past few days other than the McCanns and the Rugby World Cup. Now I love a sporting event as much as anyone, so I'm not really going to complain about the coverage that the Rugby World Cup got. (Although, even serious fans have to recognize that there are too many really bad teams and bad games in this tournament. Too many games where one team has ZERO chance of winning).

But the McCanns? Ugghhh. It is the ONLY news story. I don't always get much chance to read newspapers during the week, but on Sunday I read a couple (whichever ones fall into my lap). Anyway, I was looking forward to reading all the coverage about what's going on in Germany with those arrests, etc., but the only story covered in any detail was the McCanns.

I can understand this to an extent, but surely it's not really that important a story, right? Okay, the tabloids & Sky News are all over this, but why are the broadsheets so caught up in the McCanns?

Maybe it's just me, but really I see this as total overkill.