Thursday, September 06, 2007

Labour's leader

Eamon Gilmore is the new leader of the Labour Party. This is unsurprising given how all the other 'names' were falling over each other ruling themselves out of the position.

I find it kind of interesting that the former DL folks seem so dominant in the Labour Party. Makes me think that after Dick Spring, Ruari Quinn and Brendan Howlin the rest of the old Labour Party had absolutely nothing - or at least not many ambitious people.

I don't know enough to say I'm surprised that Gilmore's the new leader, but I have the vague idea that this will mean a shift to the left for the Labour Party. They've clearly decided that it's more important to knock out the minnows to their left than engage in any real tussle with the big boys (FF & FG). I suppose being third's not so bad when being fourth or fifth is staring you in the face.

Again, I don't know enough about the party to talk about the internal politics, but Joan Burton is one member who at least gave me the impression that she would be responsible with the public purse, which is not the view I have of Gilmore. I also think Gilmore is more anti-American, but maybe he's just more outspoken.

Burton does have a serious charisma deficit, however, which rules her out of the leader's role.