Friday, March 23, 2007

Price of Irish "land"

There are always loads of stories about Ireland/the Irish - in Ireland, in America, everywhere - in the papers around St. Patrick's Day. This year my favorite is one that just has me shaking my head and asking how I didn't think of this golden idea.

The Auld Sod Export Company, founded by 27-year-old Pat Burke, sells Irish dirt to Irish emigrants and Irish-Americans. 12 ounce bags of dirt go for $15 a bag, although there's a sale during March - 4 bags for $20. They've shipped $2m worth of dirt since November.

Many people buy the bags for throwing over a coffin or on a grave site. One guy bought $100,000 worth of dirt to fill his grave. Another guy spent $148,000 to put under the foundation of his new house.

AAAAAaaaaahhhhhh. I cannot believe I didn't come up with that idea. How could I have missed it? Sheer genius.