Friday, March 23, 2007

Not just rumors

I guess I didn't really believe the rumors because I was genuinely shocked last night to learn that Bob Woolmer had really been murdered. And even though this doesn't compare with Munich, when was the last time a sportsman was murdered at a major sporting event? And, what's even more shocking is that it's generally accepted that he was murdered for some reason that surrounds the sport. Whether it's match-fixing or Pakistan's poor play or a disgruntled player or what, nobody seems to be talking about any other motive. It's really incredible.

So, what will the cricket authorities do? Well, not much it seems. Today's games are going ahead, a decision I find totally bizarre. I thought they'd at least consider canceling the tournament, but they're not even postponing any of the games.

I probably don't even qualify as a casual fan - I've watched a few minutes of the late night highlights, listened to a few minutes of live action on the radio and read some newspaper accounts - but I certainly couldn't care less about the games now.