Monday, January 15, 2007

Debt of gratitude

I haven't poked around the news and blogs sites to see what others are saying, but I doubt I'm alone in being annoyed by President Bush's remarks about the Iraqis owing a debt of gratitude to the American people on last night's 60 Minutes. Is he serious? Did the United States go to war in order to earn the thanks of the Iraqis? Good God, I hope not.

If the Iraqi people ever feel grateful for having had Saddam's regime removed by the US and its allies (I doubt they're there yet), that's fine by me, but as an American it's not something I want to hear the President demanding. The United States should only go to war, spending lives and treasure, when vital national interests are at stake.

I believed that vital national interests were at stake in March 2003 and that's why I supported the war then. I think vital national interests are still at stake, which is why I support the continuation of the war. But, if we're there only to get a big, warm hug and a giant thank you card with a large red heart on the front, I'd say, "Let's get out now".

Oh God, there are times when being (generally) a Bush supporter is so, so hard.

{And, I'm overlooking his atrocious English during the 60 Minutes interview. "I think I am proud of the efforts we did," Bush said. Ahhhhhh.}